Joanna H. Martin
Attorney at Law / Associate
Joanna H Martin is an associate attorney at Kennedy, Attorneys and Counselors at Law, a health law boutique in Dallas, Texas. She received a bachelor’s degree from the University of Texas at Austin, double-majoring in History and Sociology. Mrs. Martin was awarded her Juris Doctor degree from California Western School of Law in 2007. During law school, she was a member of the Trial Advocacy team, competed in the 2007 Appellate Moot Court tournament, and volunteered with the Orange County Children’s Home in Los Angeles, California.
Mrs. Martin also interned with Orange County Public Defender’s Mental Health Unit and the San Diego Public Defender’s Felony Division. From 2007 to 2009, Mrs. Martin worked as an Assistant Public Defender in Tampa, Florida, representing indigent juveniles and adults in bench and jury trials. While in Tampa, Mrs. Martin also presided over sentencing trials in the Juvenile Diversion Teen Court Program.
Mrs. Martin is licensed in Florida and Texas, and currently focuses her practice on health law and healthcare regulatory compliance, as well as administrative law and civil litigation. She has previously worked on False Claims Act /Qui Tam cases involving Medicare/Medicaid, government contracts, the Securities and Exchange Commission, and the Internal Revenue Service. Mrs. Martin is also fluent in the Polish language.
Areas of practice
- Health Law and Regulatory Compliance
- Medicare/Medicaid Fraud & Abuse
- Administrative Law
- Qui Tam (whistleblower)
- Criminal Defense
- 10th Circuit Court of Appeals
- State of Florida
- State of Texas
- District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court, Western District of Texas
- California Western School of Law, San Diego, J.D., 2007
- University of Texas at Austin, B.A., 2002
Professional Associations & Memberships
- American Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- Florida State Bar Association
- Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- The Florida Bar
- The Florida Bar Young Lawyers Division
- State Bar of Texas
- Dallas Bar Association, Member of Health Law Section
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers
- Taxpayers Against Fraud
- Texas Association for Home Care
Honors & Awards
- Honors Concentration, California Western, 2007
- Appellate Moot Court, California Western, 2007
- Dallas Bar Association Mock Trial Judge, 2010
- Member, Dallas Bar Association Mock Trial Committee, 2011
- Dallas Bar Association Mock Trial Attorney Advisor, 2012
- The Presumption of Guilt: Systemic Factors That Contribute to Ineffective Assistance of Counsel in California
Laurance A. Benner, California Western Law Review, Vol. 45, No. 2 (Spring 2009).
Click here to return to Attorney listing.